- My name is Chelsey and I am the creator of Charming Chelsey's! I read and review anything and everything that I find to be "charming." I accept ARCs or already released books for review, and I'm also available to participate in any blog tours or book reveals too. If anything, please don't hesitate to email me any time for any reason at: charmingchelseys(at)gmail(dot)com
Powered by Blogger.
Monday, July 8, 2013
10:58 AM | Posted by Chelsey
Publication Date: June 4, 2013
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
An "exuberant" (El Mundo) debut novel about a family of cursed women in the tradition of Laura Esquivel's Like Water for Chocolate. The Laguna women suffer from an odd affliction: each generation is condemned to tragic love affairs and to only give birth to girls who are unable to escape the cruel fate of their mothers. One fateful hunting season in their small Castilian town, a young landowner arrives and begins a passionate affair with Clara Laguna, the latest in the family line, daughter of a one-eyed woman known as "the Laguna witch." He leaves her pregnant with yet another daughter, but the seeds of change are sown. Eventually the long-awaited son—Santiago, the great-great grandson of Clara—is born. A window of hope is opened, but is the curse truly over? Full of memorable, offbeat characters, from a bearded, mute female cook to the local do-gooding priest to the Laguna women themselves, The House of Impossible Loves is a feat of imaginative storytelling that marks the arrival of a talented new novelist.
“They forgot to tell you the real bane of our existence. It’s true we only ever have girls who never marry, and they this a life of disgrace, but we’re doomed to something far worse, my friend: we’re doomed to be unlucky in love. We’re fated to suffer for love, for the one love that steals our soul. It’s why no spell can end our suffering or make us forget. Once the soul is gone, no magic can cure it.”
This is the story of a line of women cursed who can never have true love and who will be forever bound to bear girls. This story follows the lives of many different characters, and is absolutely beautiful in every aspect. The Laguna woman are forever cursed. They will never marry and will only bear little girls, who are also cursed. This particular story starts with Clara Laguna, as she falls madly in love with a hunter from out of town. She knows of the curse, as does he, but she hopes he will be the one to break it. Clara ends up pregnant, with a girl, and her lover ends up leaving her just as the curse predicts. Clara wants only one thing…revenge. Revenge for herself and her daughter, but also revenge for every other Laguna woman that has ever had to bear this awful curse of love.
- ► 2016 (41)
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (183)
- Book Review: Prep School Confidential
- Book Review: The Wednesday Daughters
- Book Review: The House of Tides
- Book Review: Of Beast And Beauty & Interview With ...
- Book Review: Rosemary Cottage
- Book Review: Chose The Wrong Guy, Gave Him The Wro...
- Debut Review: The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
- Book Review: Fifth Grave Past The Light
- Book Review: Replica
- Book Review: Tulle Death Do Us Part
- ARC Book Review: OCD Love Story
- Book Review: Still Star-Crossed
- Book Review: The Lemon Orchard
- Book Review: Dirty Little Secret
- Book Review: Astor Place Vintage
- Book Review: Whistling Past The Graveyard
- Book Review: Rutherford Park
- Book Review: Who Needs Magic?
- Book Review: The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop &...
- Book Review: Forevermore
- Book Review: Life's A Witch
- Book Review: The House of Impossible Loves
- ARC Book Review: Rules For Ghosting
- Book Review: The Book of Secrets
- Book Review: Big Girl Panties
- Book Review: Far Far Away
- Book Review: Small Town Girl
- Book Review: Meet Me At The Cupcake Cafe
- Release Day Review: Brooklyn Girls
- Book Review: Stealing The Preacher
- ▼ July (30)