- My name is Chelsey and I am the creator of Charming Chelsey's! I read and review anything and everything that I find to be "charming." I accept ARCs or already released books for review, and I'm also available to participate in any blog tours or book reveals too. If anything, please don't hesitate to email me any time for any reason at: charmingchelseys(at)gmail(dot)com
Publication Date: July 23, 2013
Publisher: Delacorte Press
In the domed city of Yuan, the blind Princess Isra, a Smooth Skin, is raised to be a human sacrifice whose death will ensure her city’s vitality. In the desert outside Yuan, Gem, a mutant beast, fights to save his people, the Monstrous, from starvation. Neither dreams that together, they could return balance to both their worlds.
Isra wants to help the city’s Banished people, second-class citizens despised for possessing Monstrous traits. But after she enlists the aid of her prisoner, Gem, who has been captured while trying to steal Yuan’s enchanted roses, she begins to care for him, and to question everything she has been brought up to believe.
As secrets are revealed and Isra’s sight, which vanished during her childhood, returned, Isra will have to choose between duty to her people and the beast she has come to love.
She sighs. “Oh, I don’t know. Lots of things. If the dome is damaged by a storm and the roses have to repair it, that takes a lot strength. If blight touches the harvest, or children are born sick, or…any number of things.” She shrugs and lifts a hand in the air. “Any weakness in our city or our people. Correcting these things can make the roses grow hungry again faster.”
Isra has been blind for most of her life, at least since she was four years old. Her sole purpose has always been to be a human sacrifice for her people and the land of Yuan. She spends much of her time with the magical roses in the domed city, and the power that lies within them. With just one prick from the roses she is given her sight back for a short period in time. The roses feed off the blood of royals…the queen, to be exact. On a day, much like any other, while Isra is wondering amongst the dark roses, she runs into a Monstrous. Gem, a mutant beast, who lives outside the dome and is the race of monster that she has been trained to fear her entire life. He is taken prisoner and Isra is looked away again in her tower. She must see Gem again because she needs his help. She needs his help to free her people and herself from a long dreaded curse.
- ► 2016 (41)
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (183)
- Book Review: Prep School Confidential
- Book Review: The Wednesday Daughters
- Book Review: The House of Tides
- Book Review: Of Beast And Beauty & Interview With ...
- Book Review: Rosemary Cottage
- Book Review: Chose The Wrong Guy, Gave Him The Wro...
- Debut Review: The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
- Book Review: Fifth Grave Past The Light
- Book Review: Replica
- Book Review: Tulle Death Do Us Part
- ARC Book Review: OCD Love Story
- Book Review: Still Star-Crossed
- Book Review: The Lemon Orchard
- Book Review: Dirty Little Secret
- Book Review: Astor Place Vintage
- Book Review: Whistling Past The Graveyard
- Book Review: Rutherford Park
- Book Review: Who Needs Magic?
- Book Review: The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop &...
- Book Review: Forevermore
- Book Review: Life's A Witch
- Book Review: The House of Impossible Loves
- ARC Book Review: Rules For Ghosting
- Book Review: The Book of Secrets
- Book Review: Big Girl Panties
- Book Review: Far Far Away
- Book Review: Small Town Girl
- Book Review: Meet Me At The Cupcake Cafe
- Release Day Review: Brooklyn Girls
- Book Review: Stealing The Preacher
- ▼ July (30)