- My name is Chelsey and I am the creator of Charming Chelsey's! I read and review anything and everything that I find to be "charming." I accept ARCs or already released books for review, and I'm also available to participate in any blog tours or book reveals too. If anything, please don't hesitate to email me any time for any reason at: charmingchelseys(at)gmail(dot)com
Powered by Blogger.
Monday, October 7, 2013
6:55 PM | Posted by Chelsey
Author: Gena Showalter
Publication Date: September 24, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Series: White Rabbit Chronicles # 2
Inspired by the childhood classic Alice in Wonderland, this harrowing and romantic story features teen zombie slayer Alice Bell who has lost so much—family, friends, her home. After a strange new zombie attack, Alice fears she may be losing her mind as well. A terrible darkness blooms inside her, urging her to do wicked things. The whispers of the dead assault her ears and mirrors seem to come frighteningly to life. She’s never needed her team of zombie slayers more—including her boyfriend, Cole—than she does now. But as Cole strangely withdraws and the zombies gain new strength, Ali knows one false step may doom them all.
Sometimes I hated my priorities.
“Nana said the hat is for you. I’m Alice in Wonderland, and you’re the Mad Hatter.”
“They’re here,” I said, trying not to panic. “The zombies are here.”
Grab him. Devour him. You’ll feel so much better.
This series had me from “Alice!” I read the first book, Alice in Zombieland, in one day and it didn’t take me much longer to finish this one either. This book picks up around the same place that the other left off. Based on the book synopsis, I knew that I was in for another wild ride and that things were not going to slow down by any means in Alice’s world. Gena Showalter is a grasping storyteller and she never fails to bring the suspense and action to each book she writes. Ali and Cole are still working together fighting zombies and trying to save the world. I will say that this book took a pretty huge twist that I never saw coming, and ended in a cliffhanger that made me want to scream!
Ali is still recovering from an injury she obtained in one of her last battles, but this just isn’t any ol’ injury. This is one is causing severe problems, and ever since it occurred Ali has just not been the same. Her life is changing and we start to see some deeper, darker themes emerge. I like the twists and turns that are taking place in Ali’s life, and I am anxious to see how Showalter tops some of the decisions she made in the second installment. And of course this series wouldn’t be complete if Ali and Cole were not right beside each other. However, when Ali starts having dreams and Cole is no longer her leading man, I began to get a little more than nervous. Leave it to Showalter to make me want to cry and still keep me hanging on!
What I loved most about this book was the fact that we, the readers, get to dive deeper into the lives of some of the secondary characters and their lives. I liked seeing Kat and Frosty’s relationship develop, even though it was quite sad once you learn the backstory there. I loved seeing some of these characters explored a little more, but my favorite will always be Ali. She has come through so much and continues to keep moving forward and doing what she can to save the people in her life that she has left. She is strong, and honestly I don’t know if I would love Cole as much if they weren’t part of a team! They are awesome together!
- ► 2016 (41)
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (183)
- Litfuse Blog Tour Book Review: Glittering Promises...
- Book Review: Copperhead
- Book Review: Red
- Book Review: Mrs. Poe
- Book Review: Starry Night
- Book Review: Death, Taxes, and Green Tea Ice Cream...
- Book Review: Once We Were Brothers
- Book Review: Time After Time
- Book Review: Murder At Hatfield House
- Book Review: Gunpowder Tea
- Book Review: Hero
- Book Review: How To Tame A Wild Fireman
- Book Review: How To Entice An Enchantress
- Book Review: Sleigh Belles
- Release Day Review: Longbourn
- Book Review: Through The Zombie Glass
- Litfuse Blog Tour: The Courier of Caswell Hall
- Early Book Review: No Angel
- Book Review: Leap of Faith
- ▼ October (19)