- My name is Chelsey and I am the creator of Charming Chelsey's! I read and review anything and everything that I find to be "charming." I accept ARCs or already released books for review, and I'm also available to participate in any blog tours or book reveals too. If anything, please don't hesitate to email me any time for any reason at: charmingchelseys(at)gmail(dot)com
Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
9:10 AM | Posted by Chelsey
Author: Kate Evangelista
Publication Date: October 30, 2012
Publisher: Omnific Publishing
Ever since a near-death-experience on the operating table, seventeen-year-old Arianne Wilson can see dead people. Just as she’s learned to accept her new-found talents, she discovers that the boy she’s had a crush on since freshman year, Niko Clark, is a Reaper.
At last they have something in common, but that doesn’t mean life is getting any easier. All while facing merciless bullying from the most powerful girl in school, Arianne’s world is turned upside down after Niko accidentally reaps the soul of someone she loves. This sends them both into a spiral that threatens to end Arianne’s life. But will Niko break his own Reaper’s code to save her? And what would the consequences be if he did?
“On the bus to Atlanta, Arianne did the popcorn bounce in her seat. She still couldn’t believe she’d spoken to Nikolas Clark, let alone that he brought her to the nurse’s office. He’d been charming and too handsome for his own good. Yummy, the tip of her tongue ran over her lower lip. The brooding expression he wore when she’d asked him about his health made her like him even more. And his voice, so smooth, so warm, it wrapped around her like hot fudge on vanilla ice cream. She could listen to him speak all day if she had her way.” – ARC Copy Pg. 39
“She came up to him until her steps matched his. “I’m trying to tell you that I see dead people. Well…technically, I see their souls.” – ARC Copy Pg. 4
“‘What’s between you and Niko Clark? He had his hands all over you throughout the memorial,’ Ben said tightly.” –ARC Copy Pg. 136
Arianne can see dead people; this is no secret by now. She meets a young man with a similar connection to the dead, only his is a little more personal. Niko is the guy that Ari has harbored feelings for since the day she first saw him. In this book we are introduced to their journey together into the supernatural! Their romance was very addictive; I am using that word a lot today, must mean something! There were so many things that could potentially stand in their way of trying to have a relationship. I was constantly on the edge of my seat wondering what or when it was going to happen. We leave off with some things left unanswered, but I think that is best for our scenario. I was happy to be thirsty for more.
One of the things that I was most pleased with while reading was Arianne’s complexity as a character. She grows stronger and more confident as the pages turn. In the beginning I could feel her vulnerability and she is actually bullied by this really mean and totally rude girl at her high school. I love that Kate added this detail because it allows readers to quickly grasp a feel for Ari’s character and to sympathize with her, which I often did while reading.
On a side note I loved the character known as Death. His presence was always unavoidable when he was in scene. Chills literally creeping up me right now. This is an example of a well written and highly effective secondary character. He really did his job, Kate!
Kate really gives this story purpose and really draws a contract with her reader. This was an eerie and sometimes spooky YA read and was a perfect to start off my Halloween! I am so fortunate to have participated on this blog tour with AToMR Tours. You can head on over now and check out their website and see what they have coming up!
- ► 2016 (41)
- ► 2015 (106)
- ► 2014 (183)
- ► 2013 (273)
- AToMR Blog Tour: Reaping Me Softly Book Review
- Book Review: What Happens At Christmas
- Book Review: Bella Fortuna
- Book Review: A Flight of Fancy
- Book Review: Against The Tide
- Book Review: A Promise To Love
- Book Review: A Wedding In Great Neck
- Spooktacular Giveaway
- Book Review: How to Capture a Countess
- Book Review: Romeo Redeemed
- Book Review: Time Between Us
- Follow Me Friday (13)
- Home Run Blog Tour: Stealing Parker
- Blogspiration (2)
- Litfuse Blog Tour Book Review: Queen of the Waves
- Book Review: A Charming Crime
- Stacking The Shelves (14)
- Book Review: Beauty and the Bounty Hunter
- Follow Me Friday (12)
- Book Review: A Dangerous Liaison with Detective Le...
- Book Review: The Twelve Days to Christmas
- Blogspiration (1)
- Book Review: Amber House
- Book Review: Ironskin
- Book Review: Blame It On Texas
- Waiting On Wednesday (16)
- Book Review: At Every Turn
- ▼ October (27)